Thursday, May 5, 2022

#2631 "Snow Gone in the Maple Forest"

#2631 "Snow Gone in the Maple Forest"
14x11 oils

What a difference five days and a spring rain storm can make. The forest had been deep with snow just a few days ago but now it was all gone. That winter of precipitation had to go somewhere. The lake levels were high. Jim Day Rapids was surging with water. The soils were sodden. A winter storm with snow and ice was on the way for Wednesday but for at least a couple of days, I would paint in the forest. 

The sounds of spring filled the forest. It sounded like there were now two red shouldered hawks shrieking at me. The flocks of geese headed northbound were very vocal and they sounded ecstatic to be home. The wind increased greatly as the nocturnal inversion broke down under the strong March sun (the solar panels generated almost 80 kwh) as I painted and the sound through the trees added a low pitched whirr to the music of the sanctuary. 

Monday March 21st was also the International Day of Forests. It was a day to recognize and celebrate the importance of all types of forests in our communities. The forest was a vital part of the Singleton Sanctuary for me. I wore by Dad's plaid jacket that we had given him in 1999. He wore that jacket until he passed in 2001. My favourite memories of my Father were in a forest like this one. They are not just trees but a complex and interactive web of ecosystems that we are still learning about. 

I have painted these old fashioned tap buckets before and hopefully have been consistent with all of the dents and the peculiarities of each. The other paints are #2613 "Singleton Maple Twin Taps" and #2615 "Singleton Sap Running". I did not wear my glasses as I did not wish to see the details. 

For this and much more art, click on Pixels. Thank you. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

#2852 "Male Belted Kingfisher"

#2852 "Male Belted Kingfisher" 14x18 inches oils on canvas Started April 3th, 2024 The Belted Kingfishers are a favourite bird wit...