Saturday, September 17, 2022

#2684 "Backlit Cumulus on a Singleton July Afternoon"

#2684 "Backlit Cumulus on a Singleton July Afternoon"
11x14 inches strtetched canvas oils

This late afternoon sky was on the 105th anniversary of the disappearance of Tom Thomson - July 8th, 2022. The vigourous, backlit cumulus was something that would have attracted Tom's scrutiny as well. 

Corresponding Visible Satellite Imagery 
There were swells in the high and thick overcast cirrostratus cloud. A summer storm was on the way. The lifted condensation level was below the level of the base of the cirrostratus so that the swells originating from the strong winds found at the centre of the storm, were very subtle indeed. The swells were all cloudy. The thicker crests of the swells were a bit darker than the thinner cirrostratus found in the troughs. I painted what I saw just as Tom would have done so the meteorology must be true. 

Explaining Atmospheric Swells and Wind Waves on Another
but very Similar Day. 

I had forgotten that I had already named this painting when I wrote "Singleton Backlit July Cumulus and Swells" on the back of the selected canvas in soft charcoal pencil. The titles are remarkably similar so I decided to stick with my first choice written when I watched those clouds live. The above title may be different but both apply to the 2684th painting in my artistic journey. The number "2684" is unique for sure. 

It was a similar convective day when I stole some time to put these ideas on canvas. Severe thunderstorm watches and warnings were issued. A tiny toad waited for me at the door of the Singleton Studio where I went inside to escape the heat and the humidity. We also encourage all breeds of snakes within the Singleton Sanctuary and they enjoy toads... I try to be helpful but not interfere with nature.

For this and much more art, click on Pixels

Warmest regards and keep your paddle in the water,

Phil Chadwick

No comments:

Post a Comment

#2851 "Water Stalker"

#2851 "Water Stalker" 20x16 inches oils on canvas Started April 10th, 2024 A very large great blue heron was on the rocky shore of...