Wednesday, February 15, 2023

#1391 "Curious George"

#1391 "Curious George"
4x4 by 1.5 inches in depth oils on Gallery-wrapped canvas

Gallery mount canvases can be attractive and have several advantages. The gallery-wrapped canvases use thicker stretcher bars and are very sturdy. The canvas is wrapped all the way around the stretcher bars and stapled on the back. One can simply hang a gallery-wrapped canvas without framing. The problem is in applying paint to the canvas edges. I always continue the subject matter to the back of the canvas. I do not cut any corners. The final piece of art is all that really matters. 

The problem is in handling a canvas that is covered with slow-drying oil paint on five sides. It is a perfect recipe to smear the brush strokes and get paint on all kinds of surfaces including your hands and clothing. Never a good idea. I have built several little contraptions to take care of this little problem for me and they work just fine. I rarely get paint on my hands although I have had strong winds blow my pallet backward into my shirt... 

The device is mounted on any easel with the canvas attached. I can turn and twist the painting surface in any direction in order to paint whichever of the five edges I wish. Necessity is indeed the Mother of Invention.  

I am still using these devices a decade later

I decided to give my little contraption for small canvases another try. This is George the Hereford bull eating an early supper on Foley Mountain. I am not really certain his name is "George" but it seemed to fit. I later confirmed the name of the bull from the owners: "George" is actually "Herman". I guess that either name fits equally well. 

For this and much more art, click on Pixels.

Warmest regards and keep your paddle in the water,

Phil Chadwick


No comments:

Post a Comment

#2854 "Eastern Meadowlark"

#2854 "Eastern Meadowlark" 14x18 inches oils on canvas Started April 19th, 2024 Sadly, I rarely see a meadowlark anymore within th...