Monday, April 17, 2023

#2753 "Singleton Autumn Reflections Lily Pads"

#2753 "Singleton Autumn Reflections Lily Pads"
8x10 inches oils on canvas

Mario and Lily, wonderful people and memories
I was thinking of Lily Airomi, Mario's wife when I painted this series of water lilies. Mario gave me the gift of a classical art instruction as a young teenager. I was shy, certainly awkward and stuttered. My Dad had met Mario when he was working on their home east of Brockville and almost to Maitland. The site of the November 1838 "Battle of the Windmill" was just to the east of the Airomi Studio.  It is an historic area!

I would ride my bike the 6 kilometres to their cottage studio on the north side of  The Kings Highway at every opportunity. Later, my Brother would take me in the family car when he got his license. 

On a memory tour with my daughter, 1982

Saturday mornings were spent with others about my age and Mario would circulate through the group of four or five students freely sharing his experience and wisdom. I also attended adult classes which were typically five or six adult ladies. I was the teenager mascot and everyone from my limited vantage seemed much older.

I learned how to paint like Mario but of course, no one can be Mario... he was a gifted artist. I was meticulous, often spending the entire lesson on a square inch of canvas. I counted the folds in the accordion and every detail of shape and colour. Mario would chuckle and encourage me to loosen up. I would not really learn that lesson until I took my art outside on May 13th, 1999 and embraced plein air. Art is a journey and I was blessed to know Mario and Lily.  

I often pause while I am out paddling just to float along and study the lily pads. They are rich in colour and form. I wanted to catch the bright autumn colours from the trees on the shore reflecting in the ripples. The lily pads were in various stages of being submerged and that changed the colours and shapes into something much more abstract even though the image was based on nature. I painted this as well so that #2752 "October Singleton Lily Pads" would have a friend. 

For this and much more art, click on Pixels.

Warmest regards and keep your paddle in the water,

Phil Chadwick


No comments:

Post a Comment

#2854 "Eastern Meadowlark"

#2854 "Eastern Meadowlark" 14x18 inches oils on canvas Started April 19th, 2024 Sadly, I rarely see a meadowlark anymore within th...