Sunday, May 28, 2023

#2769 "April Shadows in the Singleton Sanctuary"

#2769 "April Shadows in the Singleton Sanctuary"
10x8 inches oils on canvas

The April sun felt delicious on my back. The sounds of spring were almost loud in the provincially significant wetlands. I heard ruffed grouse drumming, barred owls wondering who was going to do the cooking and the first loon of the season flew overhead. Geese were honking out announcing their territories. 

The rich, green moss was bright at the base of the trees that lined the swamp. The morning shadows trailed away from me and across the wetland. Those shadows shifted like a sundial recording the time I spent surrounded by nature.  

A tall dead white pine was leaning on its neighbour. Holes excavated by the pileated woodpeckers in the old wood were certainly being used by someone. A persistent chickadee kept me company and wondered if I had sunflower seeds in my pocket. I did not. These were fresh clothes and seeds get mixed in with the laundry. 

I was intrigued by the strong blues of the spring flood in the wetlands poking through between the trees. I had paddled my canoe on that blue water to explore the extent of that ice and to pick up debris that had drifted there with the wind and water. I paddled right to the end of the wetland where in just a few weeks, it would be high and dry.

Done like dinner...

For this and much more art, click on Pixels.

Warmest regards and keep your paddle in the water,

Phil Chadwick


No comments:

Post a Comment

#2854 "Eastern Meadowlark"

#2854 "Eastern Meadowlark" 14x18 inches oils on canvas Started April 19th, 2024 Sadly, I rarely see a meadowlark anymore within th...