Monday, October 30, 2023

#2820 "Dumoine Antique Latern Lights the Way"

#2820 "Dumoine Antique Lantern Lights the Way"
7x5 oils on canvas panel

The skies were clearing after the heavy rain. I tend to finish a CPAWS DRAW with a painting of the communal fire pit where stories to exchange and tales told - all of course were true. I had just finished painting the hot water kettle. 


I saw the old antique gold lantern sitting on the bench and it was smiling at me. I retrieved my very last panel and decided to enjoy the smoky fire and another "trail bar" with an old friend. My meal would not come close to those that we had enjoyed earlier in the week - finely prepared by our friend Lyndon. 

After completing the old lantern, I went for one last swim in the lake before the twilight turned to black. It was a peaceful evening by the fire with the snap, crackle and pop of the campfire providing the soundtrack like the old breakfast cereal.. 

CPAWS-Ottawa Valley has hosted DRAW Retreat for Artists since 2017. DRAW is a clever acronym for Dumoine River Art for Wilderness. I have attended every year except during COVID. There is no better cause. The goals are admirable and ones that I deeply share. The goal is ultimately to make a lasting difference like A.Y. Jackson and the Ontario Society of Artists did in the case of Killarney Provincial Park. The impacts of climate change are already being felt. There is no time for dithering. 

Done like dinner...
This is number twenty-eight of twenty-eight paintings I completed en plein air at CPAWS DRAW 2023. It was a wonderful experience with a terrific group of people. https://cpaws-ov-vo.org/draw-retreat-artists/ A portion of sales from this endeavour will go to support CPWAS and keep the wild in the wilderness. 

For this and much more art, click on Pixels. To go to the Canadian Parks and Wilderness Society Collection on Fine Art America, click here

Warmest regards and keep your paddle in the water,

Phil Chadwick 

No comments:

Post a Comment

#2854 "Eastern Meadowlark"

#2854 "Eastern Meadowlark" 14x18 inches oils on canvas Started April 19th, 2024 Sadly, I rarely see a meadowlark anymore within th...