Monday, January 15, 2024

#2835 "Monday Afternoon January Shadows at Long Reach"

#2835 "Monday Afternoon January Shadows at Long Reach"
8x10 inches oils on canvas panel
2:00 pm Monday, January 8th, 2024.

We were strolling in the afternoon sun on Long Reach Lane. It was a beautiful day with fresh snow. There were only some squirrel and deer tracks in the snow. I did not even bother to clear our portion of Long Reach Lane as rain was forecast to wash the snow away just a couple of days later.

My wife remarked how she loved the snow shadows stretching through the forest - also that  I had not painted snow for a while. Too many clouds and too much weather I guess. I decided to change that. 

I headed back to that spot immediately after the walk. There was not much time to paint as another snowsquall was on the northern horizon. The meteorology of snowsqualls is very interesting. Severe convection might only reach up to 12 thousand feet high but the impacts can be disastrous if the squalls lock in on specific terrain. There is not much chance of that happening at Singleton as the snowsquall bands are typically very transient. 

The sun lasted just long enough for me to lay in the composition and match some colours. There were some stubborn maple leaves clinging to some branches but I had the perfect colours on my palette back in the Studio. I finished the painting under overcast skies. 


For this and much more art, click on Pixels or go straight to the Collections including Wet Paint

Warmest regards and keep your paddle in the water,

Phil Chadwick 


No comments:

Post a Comment

#2851 "Water Stalker"

#2851 "Water Stalker" 20x16 inches oils on canvas Started April 10th, 2024 A very large great blue heron was on the rocky shore of...