Saturday, September 21, 2024

#2877 "Dumoine Cloud Castles Leaking Virga"

#2877 "Dumoine Cloud Castles Leaking Virga"
Oils on canvas panel 5 X 7 (inches).
Started 2:15 pm Wednesday, July 31st, 2024
from very near N46.463225 W77.771566. 

After completing #2876 "Dumoine Cumulus Congestus with Virga", I needed a break so I paddled back to John's Cabin to see who was stirring. I visited with the DRAW participants over a light lunch. Meanwhile, the weather did not stop evolving so I decided to continue with my series of weather observations. 

I set up my easel standing in the shallow water at John's Beach. This tactic was very effective at defeating the ankle-biting bugs which were particularly pesky that day. 

The cumulus congestus had continued to grow and each demanded even more volume of the atmosphere. The compensating downdrafts required to balance the more vigorous towering cumulus also wanted more space. Open cellular convection such as this requires some subsidence between the cells. The shafts of virga and rain showers were clearly identifiable. 

I painted looking downstream on the Dumoine. The location where I had painted all morning was on the distant shore to the left of the main current. 

This is number fourteen of thirty-five paintings I completed en plein air at CPAWS DRAW 2024. It was a wonderful experience with a terrific group of people. A portion of sales from this endeavour will go to support CPAW and keep the 'wild' in the wilderness. 

For this and much more art, click on Pixels or go straight to the Collections. Here is the new Wet Paint 2024 Collection. Here is the link to the CPAWS DRAW Collection

Warmest regards and keep your paddle in the water,

Phil Chadwick 



No comments:

Post a Comment

#2883 "Dumoine Langmuir Cloud Streets"

#2883 "Dumoine Langmuir Cloud Streets" Oils on stretched canvas 8 X 10 (inches). Started 3:30 pm Thursday, August 1st, 2024 from v...