Monday, August 3, 2026

#3020 "June Daisy"

#3020 "June Daisy" 
10 x 8 inches. Oils on canvas panel.
Started 8:30 am Tuesday, June 16th, 2026.

It was a beautiful June morning, and my "dance card" was empty. I grabbed my field easel and headed to the outside wood oven to paint some flowers. The moderate wind kept the biting bugs away, but not the turtles. 

I painted that morning so I could watch for turtle nests while doing something more lasting. One large Northern Map Turtle found me. I was about 30 minutes into this painting when the turtle shuffled into my easel area. I did not want to interfere, so I stepped off to the side, waiting for it to move along. I still had an excellent turtle guard on hand, so I was prepared to protect her nest. 

This Northern Map Turtle turned out to be an art lover. After waiting about 10 minutes for her to decide on her next move, I decided to get another canvas and easel and paint on the other side of the wood oven. There were lots of daisies there as well. Nature always comes first at Singleton.

I was at least 15 minutes into the second painting when the turtle decided to wander the other way around our home. I was surrounded by nature. Squirrels were leaping around, as revealed in the middle "In Progress" image above. The birds were singing. The loons were calling from the lake with their two young chicks that had hatched just the week before. 

I switched back and forth between these #3020 "June Daisy" and #3021 "Northern Map Daisy" after the art-loving turtle wandered off. I located her again before these paintings were completed. The Northern Map Turtle was digging her flask-shaped nest in the gravel provided for that purpose. That nest would be protected from the predators when she was done. 

I have since protected that nest. They pee to help loosen the soil, making the digging easier ... like pouring water on the soil before trying to drive in a stake. Another reason to pee is to discourage someone from picking them up. A second Northern Map Turtle came along as I was finishing up #3021 "Northern Map Daisy". It made a puddle of urine as soon as it saw me!

After lunch, we watched a Painted Turtle heading inland. I looked, but it had disappeared like a Ninja Turtle. Fortunately, Linda wanted some bushes trimmed around the solar panels. In doing so, we stumbled across that turtle deeper in the forest... more than 150 yards inland. The nest was protected as well, though I could barely find it, even with the location sticks I had placed on the ground. The raccoon, with its keen sense of smell, would have located that nest. That made turtle nest number 15 protected for the summer of 2026. There were not many basking turtles left on Turtle Rock, so the nesting season was pretty much done. 

Art, science and nature are all compatible at Singleton. 

For this and much more art, click on Fine Art America or go straight to the Collections. Here is the new Wet Paint Collection. Thank you so very much for reading, and stay well!

Warmest regards, and keep your paddle in the water,

Phil Chadwick  


No comments:

Post a Comment

#3023 "Next Adventure at Parry Sound"

#3023 "Next Adventure at Parry Sound" 20 X 24 inches, oils on canvas. Started at 9:15 am, Wednesday, June 24th, 2026 My friend Cam...