Tuesday, August 4, 2026

#3030 "Clouds Framing Harold’s Point"

#3030 "Clouds Framing Harold’s Point"  
20 X 24 inches, oils on canvas.
Started at 11:00 am Thursday, July 16th, 2026

These photos were taken by my good friend Cam, whom I have known since 1985 when we moved to Schomberg, Ontario - right after the May 31st Barrie Tornado. One of the tornadoes along the cold front passed a couple of kilometres north of the home we had just purchased on Western Avenue. It was a stressful time, but everything worked out well with good neighbours. 

Cam knows exactly what I like to paint! Windswept trees bend over rugged, pink-hued rocks along a shoreline, reflected in the water below. Bold strokes and vibrant colours can inspire a dynamic and lively scene. 

I have walked and painted those rocks many times, and unlike me, they never get old. The following are most of Harold's Rock paintings:

#2002 "Killbear Flagged Pines at Sunset", #2528 "Harold's Point at Killbear"#2534 "Sunrise on the Killbear Jumping Rocks"#2535 "Sunrise on Killbear Light"#2536 "Killbear Cirrus Sunrise"#2914 "Harold's Flag over Killbear" and #3026 "Island Queen at Harold's Rock". There might be others... 

"A Boy and His Dream"
The weather is prominent in this painting with the low horizon. I once met James Lumbers in the Wild Wings Gallery in Schomberg in the 1990s. Lumbers' paintings are distinctly Canadian and quite memorable (see "A Boy and His Dream" right). I had some skyscapes in the gallery at the time. James realized that I was a meteorologist and quickly determined that I should concentrate on the weather. My portfolio is full of a very wide range of subject matter that defies classification. “Write what you know” is usually attributed to Mark Twain, but the phrase can be easily morphed into painting. Appropriately, James resides on Georgian Bay, and I still interpret a lot of skyscapes, but many things catch my attention and my brush. 

The following collage summarizes a few of the steps required to capture this skyscape, complete with altocumulus gravity waves with smaller embedded waves at right angles. This pattern reveals wind shear in the environment consistent with veering winds with height and warm air advection. There is no quiz on this material. I just wanted to paint the clouds... 

For this and much more art, click on Fine Art America or go straight to the Collections. Here is the new Wet Paint Collection. Thank you so very much for reading, and stay well!

Warmest regards, and keep your paddle in the water,

Phil Chadwick  

No comments:

Post a Comment

#3033 "Loon Run Way"

#3033 "Loon Run Way" 18 X 24 (inches) oils on canvas. Started 9 am Wednesday, July 29th, 2026.  #3033 "Loon Run Way" 18 ...