Monday, November 13, 2017

#2016 "Kingston Marina Slips"

This was the first afternoon of the Paint the Town Kingston in association with the International Plein Air Painters World Wide Paint Out. After completing #2015 "The Kingston Marina on the Inner Harbour" I decided to do some brief shopping to avoid the band of heavy rain showers that were due almost any time. After the showers I returned to the Cataraqui River and decided to paint at the boat ramp ($10 per each use) and paint the craft immediately to the southeast. This time I would be right up and in front of my subject matter instead of painting from a kilometre away.
I started out painting on the floating dock but that was a bad idea. Not that I want to paint detail while en plein air but the subtle and continuous motion was disturbing if not prone to creating sea sickness. I worked my way in stages toward the shore end of the dock but finally had to retreat to solid ground.

As I painted, the Snow Birds roared into my landscape. I was unaware that an air show with the Snow Birds and the CF Demo jet would be practicing on Friday and delivering a full performance both on Saturday and Sunday. My plein air easel had a front row seat. The Friday air show practice was cut short when the Snowbirds spotted a drone flying about 200 feet off the ground near the Murney Tower on King Street, across from Kingston Health Sciences Centre. An OPP marine unit tracked the drone, which eventually left the restricted airspace before the CF-18's practice session began. The air force's precision flying team and the CF-18 demonstration aircraft made several passes over the city ahead of this weekend's CFB Kingston family fun fest air show.

The Kingston Marina operates 105 slips. Vessels up to 200 feet. Depth of slips 10ft. Seasonal and transient slips. 15/30 amp shore power. Free wireless internet near the office. Transient reservations suggested. If you are coming to see us, please don't confuse Kingston Marina with Confederation Basin. Kingston Marina is on the Inner Harbour, North of the Lasalle Causeway.
  Click to go to Chadwick Art... Thank you!


No comments:

Post a Comment

#2849 "Wood Ducks Standing on the Log By the Bay"

#2849 "Wood Ducks Standing on the Log By the Bay" 14x18 inches oils on stretched canvas  Started Friday March 29th, 2024  The titl...