Tuesday, November 14, 2017

#2017 "God Speed"

This was the sunrise of the second day of the Paint the Town Kingston in association with the International Plein Air Painters World Wide Paint Out. I headed back to the Kingston Marina and a composition I had scouted the previous afternoon. I positioned myself looking at the God Speed with the rising sun on my back. This boat needed the strong, front lighting of a early morning sun. The blue boat had a small cross in its name. I sunk the aluminum skiff that was parked in front of God Speed. That aluminum skiff didn't add anything to the composition and plus it that hid some of the supporting timbers. I did include the steel hull of a larger boat that was parked behind the God Speed. The sun felt really good on my back and there were no biting insects.

The term "God Speed" originates from 1250 to -1300 and the Middle English phrase God spede which meant "may God prosper (you)" or “may God cause you to succeed”. Another reference traced the roots of the phrase further back to Old English spēdan (to prosper) and from spēd for success. The phrase was used to wish someone success or good fortune. The term is particularly appropriate for those on a journey. The phrase means the same as farewell, goodbye and good luck. I liked the name of this sailing boat as much as I enjoyed the blue lines and intense colour in the morning light.
  Click to go to Chadwick Art... Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

#2850 "Mrs Blue Bird"

#2850 "Missus Blue Bird" 14 (height) X 18 (width) inches oils on canvas Started April 3rd, 2024 I have constructed several hundred...