Wednesday, November 22, 2017

#2025 "Killarney White Pine"

The 2017 Southampton Art School Annual Adventure was carrying on the legacy of my friend and artist Jane Champagne. This was the second demonstration painting and I wanted to illustrate that subject matter and inspiration were everywhere. There is no need to travel to the south of France.
I started this painting within minutes of completing #2024 "Killarney Mountain Lodge Chalet". Sometimes these demonstrations are more instructive and empowering than words. I simply turned my easel clockwise 25 degrees thus keeping the sun on my right shoulder. This view is looking northeastward along the edge of the little bay in front of the Killarney Mountain Lodge Chalet which was the premium accommodation in the time of Maury and Annabelle East. The large crane was still busy filling in the wetland which would become the site for the planned convention centre. I did not include the crane or construction in my painting but focused instead on the white pine and the skyscape.

Cumulus had developed with daytime heating in the low level cold conveyor belt of the approaching autumn storm. The convective temperature for the chilly air mass had been reached. . The easterly winds are revealed in the shapes of the clouds. This painting may be named after the dominant tree in the composition but it is really all about the weather.
  Click to go to Chadwick Art... Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

#2850 "Mrs Blue Bird"

#2850 "Missus Blue Bird" 14 (height) X 18 (width) inches oils on canvas Started April 3rd, 2024 I have constructed several hundred...