Thursday, May 24, 2018

#0010 "Mandolin Player"

From January and February 1971...
Apparently Mario liked sculpting musicians. This mandolin player was a creation of Mario Airomi as well. I imagine that he witnessed this scene and others that he created during his time in Florence Italy. A mandolin is a stringed musical instrument in the lute family and is usually plucked with a plectrum or "pick". The one scuplted is the most common with four courses of doubled metal strings tuned in unison (8 strings). There are five (10 strings) and six (12 strings) mandolins as well. It is the soprano member of a family that includes the mandola, octave mandolin, mandocello and mandobass. Apparently popular Italian mandolin players travelled through Europe teaching and giving concerts and some certainly visited Florence the capital of Italy's Tuscany region and the home to many masterpieces of Renaissance art and architecture.

It was my fourth oil painting and I was still practicing. There are many colours and tones even in something that looks monochromatic. I was still learning.

I was 17 and was in Grade Twelve at the Brockville Collegiate and Vocational School - BCIVS. On the side I was cutting grass all around Brockville and wearing out the lawn mowers that my Dad purchased. I had ten to fifteen clients and the grass business growing and kept me going.
 For this and much more art...

No comments:

Post a Comment

#2850 "Mrs Blue Bird"

#2850 "Missus Blue Bird" 14 (height) X 18 (width) inches oils on canvas Started April 3rd, 2024 I have constructed several hundred...