Tuesday, May 8, 2018

#0057 "Ketch Harbour"

Step number 57 on my artistic journey took me to the Atlantic...

This is a view along the Purcell's Cove Road just southeast of Halifax during the summer of 1977. It was a sunny day with no advection fog.
I struggled with what to do with the foreground. The focus for me were the details of the rocks. I expect they are still there as we saw them on our Sunday drive. This panel started as a standard 16 by 24 inch panel but lost and inch on the bottom. The foreground was not speaking to me so it left.

I was still learning about the weather of the Maritimes and as much as I could about real meteorology. Fog taught something new every time it developed. The three degree surplus of dew point above the sea surface temperature was an easy lesson in the formation of advection fog. The diurnal forces that sculpted fog and the strength of the onshore and offshore winds were much more complicated. I often watched the fog waft in and out over the Shearwater runways. Just when I thought I had it figured out the fog would teach me a new trick. The air crews were patient with my fumbling attempts to forecast fog knowing that I was really trying my best. In their experience they probably knew much more about fog than I ever would. I resisted the much easier approach of waiting for the fog to play its hand and then forecast it. Never stop learning...

I would have painted this in the guest bedroom on the southwest corner of our apartment in the Woodlawn Mall area of Dartmouth, Nova Scotia. My studio was in the extreme corner and the sewing area on the opposite wall when guests were not visiting.
 For this and much more art...

No comments:

Post a Comment

#2850 "Mrs Blue Bird"

#2850 "Missus Blue Bird" 14 (height) X 18 (width) inches oils on canvas Started April 3rd, 2024 I have constructed several hundred...