Thursday, June 28, 2018

#0052 "Noname Lake"

From the summer of 1977...

This is the view looking back over the motor of a small boat while fishing at Noname Lake, Goose Bay, Labrador during the summer of 1977. We caught some really nice speckled trout on that trip. The cirrostratus was coming at us with a warm conveyor belt of a low pressure area but it did not rain on our exercise.

As I recall a very senior officer walked into the Forecast office early on a Friday afternoon at CFB Shearwater. The officer might have even been the Case Commander who I had met a few times. I was doing my very best with advection fog and trying to get really detailed with the comings and goings of zero visibility. You never learn if you never try. Apparently there was a training exercise going to Labrador and they wanted some meteorological support. After checking with the Supreme Commander I said yes. It was more of a fishing trip with a fine group of the Canadian military. This painting was one of the results along with meeting and fishing with some great guys. We flew into that lake on a Sea King Helicopter. I was honoured to be part of that group.

Elvis was still alive then and I was setting up the apartment in the Dartmouth anticipating the arrival of my partner of two years. She was finishing her work and training in Toronto.

I would have painted this in the guest bedroom on the southwest corner of our apartment in the Woodlawn Mall area of Dartmouth, Nova Scotia. My studio was in the extreme corner and the sewing area on the opposite wall when guests were not visiting.
 For this painting and much more...

No comments:

Post a Comment

#2849 "Wood Ducks Standing on the Log By the Bay"

#2849 "Wood Ducks Standing on the Log By the Bay" 14x18 inches oils on stretched canvas  Started Friday March 29th, 2024  The titl...