Saturday, July 28, 2018

#0173 "Behind the Scenes"

From 1988 and the Studio Under the Basement Stairs...
This is the view behind the Co-op on Main Street, Schomberg during the summer of 1987. My son and I were out for a walk and I liked the unusual angle. All kinds of farm supplies were stored behind the Co-op and the Schomberg River that ran along the back of the property. The Co-op was still in the business of farm supplies when we moved there in 1985. I bought tools and parts to work on our home from the Co-op. Everything was still sold in bulk by weight. Nothing was in plastic sleeves and over-packaged. I wish I had painted the inside of the store before it transformed into something for the tourists.

This area was all flooded during Hazel in October 1954. In Schomberg early damage estimates for the community added up to $250,000 (1954 dollars). Damage reported included holes in sidewalks, undermined bridges, flooding along Main Street, a planning mill ripped from its foundation and washouts on a parking lot that dropped cars into a newly-formed sink hole.
 For this and much more art...

No comments:

Post a Comment

#2850 "Mrs Blue Bird"

#2850 "Missus Blue Bird" 14 (height) X 18 (width) inches oils on canvas Started April 3rd, 2024 I have constructed several hundred...