Sunday, September 23, 2018

#2126 "Superior Awausee Lookout"

I was up at 6 am with the sun at my Agawa Bay campsite on the shores of Lake Superior. I started out early to hike a bit of the Awausee Trail. I was told there was a nice pool and waterfall up there. It sounded like something very worth painting. I had both hands occupied with my easel and paints. The trail went straight up. It was rocky and the steps when there were any, were very high and not an even 7 to 8 inches as prescribed in most building codes. The trail would have been fine if I had taken my smaller plein air kit. Next time I will know.

The first lookout was indeed a full 45 minutes along the vertical trail and time I should really have spent painting. I still got painting by 7 am at the outlook overlooking the scene below. The cliff was steep and it would have been a nasty fall. The rocky cliffs were still wet with the rain from Alberto. The location was potentially treacherous. I was bit uncomfortable painting from the lookout. The scenery was beautiful though and well worth the hike.

As I painted I did see what might have been a golden eagle. A large flock of Canada geese came close overhead. That was Agawa beach in the upper centre of the painting. The steel bridge in the left centre crosses the Agawa River.

On the way back I did not find the pool but did sketch a little woodland pool along the trail. The mosquitoes found me and really hurried me along.
 For this and much more art...

No comments:

Post a Comment

#2851 "Water Stalker"

#2851 "Water Stalker" 20x16 inches oils on canvas Started April 10th, 2024 A very large great blue heron was on the rocky shore of...