Monday, September 24, 2018

#2127 "Awausee Woodland Waterfall"

I was up at 6 am with the sun at my Agawa Bay campsite on the shores of Lake Superior. I started out early to hike a bit of the Awausee Trail. I was told there was a nice pool and waterfall up there. It sounded like something very worth painting. I had both hands occupied with my easel and paints. The trail went straight up but it would have been fine if I had taken my smaller plein air kit. Next time.

I found this little woodland pool along the trail on the way back from painting #2126 "Superior Awausee Lookout" at the first lookout on the Awausee Trail. The hungry mosquitoes found me as well and really hurried me along. The sound of the water trickling through the tree roots was music to my ears. The huge tree and roots clung to the rocks and kept as much soil as they could on the steep slope. Mossy and lichen surfaces were everywhere. It was almost like a rain forest setting. There are more than a few bugs mixed in with the thick paint that I applied to the very smooth and slippery surface. As I painted I wondered how long it would take for this tropical moisture to reach the ocean again. Does anyone know?

Note that I use a roll of masking tape to keep track of the specific number of the painting that I am working on. I display this piece of tape with the right number on my easel as I paint. When completed that little piece of tape is then stuck on the back of the painting. New numbers are written on the roll of tape as I tear off numbers with each new painting. It is a simple system and it took me years to figure it out.
 For this and much more art...


No comments:

Post a Comment

#2850 "Missus Blue Bird"

#2850 "Missus Blue Bird" 14 (height) X 18 (width) inches oils on canvas Started April 3rd, 2024 I have constructed several hundred...