Thursday, September 27, 2018

#2130 "Gitchi-gami Cove Cliff"

I woke up at 6 am at my Agawa campsite in Superior East as has been the habit on this painting trip. Within minutes I was in the car and traveling up Frater Road. The car has a heater and the tent does not. The car measured the outside temperature at plus 4 Celsius. It felt colder and I had the car heater on full tilt to compensate. I was told that it was very scenic in Frater and I had to go.

The roads were constructed out of glacial till. The round rocks were sometimes huge like boulders and the rain from Alberto had washed the sand from around them. The round rocks made the road very rough. I drove up to the Village of Frater. There were a few old and empty looking houses and three big trucks parked outside. I saw two bull moose on the railway tracks that went through the centre of Frater. The huge moose simply dissolved into the fog and the drizzle when they saw me. There were several outhouses so I don't think any of these houses had hydro or running water. I would have painted something in Frater but the precipitation was far too heavy.

I headed back to Sinclair Cove to paint in the sheltered bay. I finished the first painting of the shear rocky Agawa cliff by 8 am. The gravity waves in the bottom of the altostratus told where the warm frontal surface was but it was not raining at the cove yet. The drizzle had lightened up and painting was possible again. The dark nimbostratus looking cloud on the northern horizon foretold of what was to come. That sunlit edge to the nimbostratus was a deformation zone. The patterns on the water of the cove was a mix of reflections and calm and rippled water.
 For this and much more art...

No comments:

Post a Comment

#2850 "Mrs Blue Bird"

#2850 "Missus Blue Bird" 14 (height) X 18 (width) inches oils on canvas Started April 3rd, 2024 I have constructed several hundred...