Monday, October 8, 2018

#2142 "Grande Chute Morning Light"

The fog had transformed into mist so I headed up to the bridge that spanned the Grande Chute. I could see further and that encouraged a painting looking down the length of the falls across the swimming holes that I had frequented in 2017. I hoped that the motion and energy in the rapids would find its way on to the canvas. I got in the zone and had no idea how those pictures of me painting got on to my own camera. Maybe my friend the bear took them? The rip in my thirty year old painting shirt was starting to grow. The story about the black bear ripping my shirt after we got into a discussion about my use of burnt umber was greatly exaggerated.

I included all of the details of the rocky point upstream from the favourite swimming hole. This characteristic rock is in the upper left of the painting. The second ledge up from the water on that rocky point looked like the head of a vegetarian dinosaur when viewed from the swimming hole. Becky Mason named that Serpent Rock and that was good enough for me. Even though the flow of the Dumoine was near its annual minimum there was still a lot of water and noise associated with the torrent.

Becky Mason came by looking for her husband Reid McLachlan. I last saw Reid crossing the bridge and heading down the trail along the west bank of the Dumoine. Becky had his lunch but she was not concerned. They both know there way around the Canadian wilderness. Becky and Reid shared some terrific dried oranges with the CPAWS group. Those dried treats were very special and would be the highlight of any food pack for sure.
 For this and much more art...

No comments:

Post a Comment

#2850 "Mrs Blue Bird"

#2850 "Missus Blue Bird" 14 (height) X 18 (width) inches oils on canvas Started April 3rd, 2024 I have constructed several hundred...