Tuesday, March 19, 2019

#0433 "Hill Side Blues"

This is another look out the double glazed west window of the new family room of Watershed Farm on the 12th Concession of King Township just a kilometre north of Hammertown. I guess we lived in a suburb of Hammertown. Those hills were great for tobogganing.

It was a cold and very windy day and this was the closest that I could comfortably get to something which I wanted to paint. Streets of turbulent stratocumulus off Georgian Bay hurried along with the northwesterly winds. The sun and the wind sculpted the snow and the ice on the hills of the Oak Ridges Moraine. The southward facing slopes were warm and starting to melt their snow cover. The northward facing slopes would hold on to the snow and ice for another week or so.

It took six years of effort to get the farm house from the way we found it in 1993 (#0431 "The Homestead"). It was worth all of the effort. I did not paint much in those years but I sure did a lot of carpentry and earth moving.

The title is a bit of a play on the title of a popular cop show which I never had time to watch - "Hill Street Blues". It also sounds like a work of music. The play on the title works for me because I used most of my palette of various shades of blue to get the effect I was hoping for. I have lots and lots of blue hues available for my palette. An artist friend of mine will not touch a pigment with "phalo" in the name and calls them stains. I see them as another tool to be carefully used.

I was very pleased with the piece in spite of the speed I had to work at. It really captured the colours and the sky.

For this and much more art, click on Pixels. Thank you.
 For this and much more art, click on Pixels. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

#2845 "Female Snowy Owl"

#2845 "Female Snowy Owl" 18x14 oils on stretched canvas Started Saturday, February 17th, 2024 This female snowy owl had a whimsica...