Saturday, May 25, 2019

#0443 "Naja and Friend"

This scene was used in a Swift Canoe Catalogue to promote the Mattawa canoe. I really liked the image and especially the idea of the faithful dog accompanying his master. The love and loyalty of a dog is unmatched. Naja, the graying companion is focused keenly on the observer and is the key to the painting. I was working from a very small image with permission and I worked very hard to make the man look like Bill Swift who was paddling the canoe.
Portraits, especially miniatures, are very difficult and with a slight change in colour or shape or even tone, I changed the image from Elvis to Joe Pesci with a single stroke. I got it close to Bill and decided to quit while it was still a head ... at least until I had a bigger image to work from or even if Bill would sit still long enough for me to capture the likeness.

About a decade after this painting, I purchased a Mattawa. Margaritaville looks exactly like the canoe in the painting. I have my share of Swift canoes and kayaks. I have been told that I have enough but we all know that the canoeist who dies with the most canoes, wins. You don't actually win anything of course.

For this and much more art, click on Pixels. Thank you.
 For this and much more art, click on Pixels. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

#2849 "Wood Ducks Standing on the Log By the Bay"

#2849 "Wood Ducks Standing on the Log By the Bay" 14x18 inches oils on stretched canvas  Started Friday March 29th, 2024  The titl...