Friday, June 21, 2019

#0550 "Swamp Tree"

This is a characteristic tree on the north fence of Watershed Farm at the very crest of the Oak Ridges Moraine looking toward the northwest. The tree has a very odd lean to it over the shallow pond.  I would paint this characteristic tree again in #0577 "The Swamp Tree"  and possibly more canvases

It was a rare October afternoon. The skies cleared nicely after thick morning fog, drizzle and then some heavy rain. The weather was meant to be enjoyed so the family Maine Coon Cat and Chesapeake and I headed out. The Japanese beetles were out in force and many flew into the paint. I let them crawl onto the wood tip of my brush and then I winged them off to safety. There are probably very few oil-painted ladybugs out there but I know where there are some. A few of the little devils bit me and there were even a couple who crawled down my back ... and then bit me!

The Chesapeake forgot to bring a ball this time so she broke off a stick and got me to toss that for her. The Maine Coon prowled the woods pictured in the painting but after an hour or so of that, she was content to bask in the sun on the hillside behind me and watch me paint. Painting can be a family affair.

The hidden mysteries of the bush and the shadows are what intrigued me. The quiet time with family in the forest is always special.

This plein air exercise was before digital cameras so I do not have any in progress images like I can easily do now.

For this and much more art, click on Pixels. Thank you.
 For this and much more art, click on Pixels. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

#2851 "Water Stalker"

#2851 "Water Stalker" 20x16 inches oils on canvas Started April 10th, 2024 A very large great blue heron was on the rocky shore of...