Monday, January 20, 2020

#0578 "The Schomberg River"

I was looking for something to paint and was on my way home from getting supplies from my friends at the Schomberg Cashway. The building of Watershed Farm was mainly done but there was always something left to do to make it better. Cashway was my "go to" store for almost everything. I noticed the well used path headed north along the hydro line off the 19th Sideroad just west of the hamlet of Lloydtown. I drove north about 300 metres until it got too rough for the Toyota Corolla. I explored down to the Schomberg River. It did not take long to find a painting.

This view is facing east-southeast along a shallow section of the river. The sounds of the babbling stream filled the air along with all of the birds inhabiting the lush river valley. The black flies were enjoying the midday hours as well. In 2002 there were plans to extend Highway 427 north through this rich valley right through this painting site. Oh my...

A friend told me a story about a farmer who had once owned the land around MacKenzie Mountain between the 12th Concession of King and Mount Wolfe Road. A large kettle lake was the feature of his land. A dam made this lake much bigger and deeper. In those early days the pioneers did not even think of the impacts of water diversion. One day the dam gave way. I do not know it was intentional or accidental. The flood water roared along the valley of the Schomberg River that roughly paralleled the 19th Sideroad. The man jumped on his horse to try to warn the residents of Schomberg but the water got there first. The Schomberg Mill was damaged for sure but again, I do not know how much. That mill pond was dry when we lived in the village although suckers and other fish did come up the Schomberg River to spawn in the late 1980's.

For this and much more art, click on Pixels. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

#2850 "Mrs Blue Bird"

#2850 "Missus Blue Bird" 14 (height) X 18 (width) inches oils on canvas Started April 3rd, 2024 I have constructed several hundred...