Tuesday, September 22, 2020

#2385 "Bullhead Lily"


 I went out for an early morning paddle around Singleton Lake. These yellow pond lilies caught my eye. They were the brightest thing on the lake except for the rising sun. 


I located the loon family as well and both chicks were in great shape. The loons are more wary of the canoe than they are of motor boats. I do not understand that as I give them their nesting platform and protect them. I gave them a very wide berth so they would not be alarmed. The time of the photo of the yellow lily was 6 am. I had started my morning paddle shortly after 5 am. This yellow lily is also called the Bullhead lily (Scientific name: Nuphar lutea) so that is what I decided to call the painting. 

The yellow pond lily is an aquatic perennial herb. It produces glossy; 5 cm wide flowers floating on or raised above the water. There are six bright yellow, petal-like sepals and many small yellow petals that put on a show all summer long. The floating leaves are veined, heart-shaped with rounded lobes; 10-25 cm long. The stalks of Yellow Pond Lily are attached to an underground stem with roots called a rhizome. Rhizomes are buried in the mud below the water surface. The rhizomes grow quickly to form large colonies.

I used a lot of paint and a minimal number of brush strokes. It was fun. What a happy flower!

For this and much more art, click on Pixels. Thank you.



No comments:

Post a Comment

#2853 "Song Sparrow Sing"

#2853 "Song Sparrow Sing" 20x16 inches oils on canvas. Start Monday, April 15th, 2024 I could almost hear the song of the sparrow ...