Monday, February 1, 2021

#2445 "Sunny Flowers for a Cloudy Day"


This is a flippant return to #2435 "Overcast Sunflowers" that I painted on January 6th, 2021.Sunflowers were the perfect inspiration during the shortest days and longest nights of the year as well as the darkest days of the COVID-19 Pandemic. I did not know it at the time but it would be a sadly, an even darker day in the United States. History will have much more to say about January 6th but I did not learn of the attack on the White House until the evening. I was too busy trying to be constructively creative during the COVID quarantine.

I flipped this image horizontally from the first go at them when I painted #2435 "Overcast Sunflowers". I wanted one more and final try with the aging oil paints that were left on my palette before I scraped it clean. It might be the new year of 2021 but I was still having fun with the remarkable sunflowers of 2020. This was a very smooth panel and that also affects how one records the inspiration. 

The COVID-19 Pandemic was just about to hit the fan as people ignored the instructions and isolation guidance that is required to stop the spread of the virus. The virus was also mutating into variants that likely would not be effectively combated by the coming vaccines. Daily new infection numbers were close to 8 thousand in Canada and climbing. New Zealand and Australia combatted the virus wisely. 

My Father gave me wise advice as a child to "not worry about what other people were doing. Just worry about yourself". It bothered me as a youngster and still does as a supposedly mature adult, that people flagrantly flaunt the laws in an entitled, self-indulgent way, oblivious to their impacts on others and nature. I guess that I share Van Gogh's and Mark Twain's dislike of privilege and greedy entitlement. I would have liked to have known Vincent and Samuel Clements. 

For this and much more art, click on Pixels. Thank you.


No comments:

Post a Comment

#2851 "Water Stalker"

#2851 "Water Stalker" 20x16 inches oils on canvas Started April 10th, 2024 A very large great blue heron was on the rocky shore of...