Sunday, May 2, 2021

#2480 "Jim Day Rapids from Long Reach Ice"


I could see the deformation zone on the western horizon. The sunny skies would not last long. I prowled around looking for something to catch my eye. 

The window of opportunity when you can safely stand on Long Reach is very brief so I set up on the ice of Long Reach just downstream from Jim Day Rapids. I used another 8x10 stretched canvas mounted on an 11x14 panel. I keep my fingers clean and never have to touch the painted surface. My goal was to use a lot of paint and to capture the moment without any unnecessary details. It is easier said than done. 

The creatures of the Singleton Sanctuary were busy foraging. The Sanctuary was actually quite noisy and every few minutes the ice would make some loud, unsettling cracking noises as well. The sounds from the ice always got my attention and I could sometimes feel the vibration up through my boots. It was overcast by the time I finished. 

For this and much more art, click on Pixels. Thank you. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

#2852 "Male Belted Kingfisher"

#2852 "Male Belted Kingfisher" 14x18 inches oils on canvas Started April 3th, 2024 The Belted Kingfishers are a favourite bird wit...