Monday, October 17, 2022

#2698 "Singleton September Sunrise Stratocumulus"

#2698 "Singleton September Sunrise Stratocumulus"
16x20 inches oils

The front-lit stratocumulus clouds were like pastel sheep strolling across the lake to start a new day in pastures to the north. 

Oceanic Langmuir Streaks but a similar process
occurs in the Atmospheric Ocean as well
The cloud streets were aligned with the light southerly winds in a process of Langmuir helical, interacting vortices. The dominant high pressure area was to the south and the outflow controlled the wind direction within the lower atmosphere. The clues in the cloud that this was a fact were subtle. A few of the cumulus elements displayed the characteristic hump resulting from the vector addition of the convective updraft with the southerly breeze. Cumulus elements typically grow with time and the larger and older cumulus are to the right and further along the street. I remember enjoying my coffee and watching the clouds drift northward with the wind - that fact was the clincher. 

All of this observational science was secondary in my mind as I embraced the sunrise. I simply appreciated the soft and comforting colours. I knew that I needed to record this in oils. Hues of purple were easy to find in the sunrise light. 

Mario and Lily were both famed artists
from Florence, Italy and my friends...

My friend and mentor Mario Airomi always encouraged me to use the biggest brush that I could. Mario was always right. 

For this and much more art, click on Pixels.

Warmest regards and keep your paddle in the water,

Phil Chadwick


No comments:

Post a Comment

#2853 "Song Sparrow Sing"

#2853 "Song Sparrow Sing" 20x16 inches oils on canvas. Start Monday, April 15th, 2024 I could almost hear the song of the sparrow ...