Monday, November 21, 2022

#2712 "Jim Day Windy October Afternoon"

#2712 "Jim Day Windy October Afternoon"
9x12 oils on canvas
Around midday, I watched a group of six kayakers riding the southwesterly winds down Singleton Lake and through Jim Day Rapids. I would have loved to paddle with them but I had chores to do. 

I had caught up with my duties around 1 pm and headed out to paint. The sun would still be a bit on my back if I headed down to Jim Day Rapids so that is what I did. After laying in the composition, I heard some voices behind me. The kayakers had returned and they called me by name. I was surprised to see a friend I had known since I was five years old with the group.  Her family were our neighbours on Howard Road when we first moved to Brockville. She had an aptly named pony "Nipper"… but in 2022 she had a kayak. Another friend who I worked with on a project was with the group as well.

This time they were facing a headwind up the length of Singleton Lake. It would not be an easy paddle. One of the group kindly took some pictures of me painting - something that I do not enjoy very often. The images tell a story of a sunny but windy afternoon at Jim Day Rapids. What a wonderful way to spend some time. 

This painting was all about subtle colour variations and loose brushwork. The experience also included a warm October sun on my back and enjoying the wind in the shelter of the trees on the marble point. 

For this and much more art, click on Pixels.

Warmest regards and keep your paddle in the water,

Phil Chadwick


No comments:

Post a Comment

#2851 "Water Stalker"

#2851 "Water Stalker" 20x16 inches oils on canvas Started April 10th, 2024 A very large great blue heron was on the rocky shore of...