Saturday, March 11, 2023

#2739 "Loons Next Generation"

#2739 "Loons Next Generation"
Oils on 11x14 by 1.5 inch Gallery Wrapped Canvas

I was just in the process of getting the loon platform ready for the 2023 nesting season. In addition, I was also constructing support for proper signage to encourage people to respect the nesting loon and resist their innate curiosity.

Loon Sign Almost Ready to Launch
after I fix the leak in the tire
I dislike signs. Signs can encourage more curiosity and even entice people to investigate too close to the very private nesting loon. Other options for deterrents were suggested but I do not even like raising my voice at people... loon monitor cameras and even a sniper rifle were mentioned...

Sadly, the loon nest was abandoned in 2022 as a result of curious kayakers surrounding the platform. That was the first time since 2006 that the loons were harassed enough to leave the nest. I do not even paddle anywhere near them when I venture out. The loon chicks are entirely dependent on their parents for the first few weeks. As painted, the young chicks often ride around on their parent’s backs for protection and warmth.

The loons make the Singleton Sanctuary feel more like "Golden Pond". We have grown into the roles of Hepburn and Fonda very well. Simultaneously, we have become more knowledgeable about the biology and nature of loons. We watch and monitor their every move and even understand the loon vocabulary. It is like losing a member of the family when an egg fails to hatch. The abandoned nest of 2022 was a catastrophe. 

Strangely, the loons are more frightened of paddles than small fishing boats. The Singleton loons really know my friend, naturalist and photographer John Verburg who took the image I used as a reference. In his own words, "I spent a bit of time with the loons again this morning. At one point they were 10 feet from the boat and seemed very content." Together with John, we do our very best to assist the loons to raise at least one chick through the summer months and into freeze-up. 

Inside the Singleton Studio

I thought it would be good to remember and paint an image of loon chicks from a previous and successful nesting year in 2021. I was working from an image taken by John Verburg with his permission. John has many images of the Singleton loons. I set the gallery-wrapped canvas up on my field easel and stood while I painted. 

I also used my swivel mount so that I could more easily paint the edges of the gallery-mounted canvas. While in the Studio, I have my subject on a large-screen TV and pretend I am outside. I am pretty gullible :>))

Swivel mount for painting the gallery-wrapped canvas 

The title of this painting is obvious from the point of view of maintaining the species but it is also based on the Star Trek series. I only watched a very few episodes of "Star Trek: The Next Generation" but I recall thinking that the lights in the hull of the stream-lined spacecraft were very much like the white highlights on the sleek body of the loon. 

For this and much more art, click on Pixels.

Warmest regards and keep your paddle in the water,

Phil Chadwick


No comments:

Post a Comment

#2854 "Eastern Meadowlark"

#2854 "Eastern Meadowlark" 14x18 inches oils on canvas Started April 19th, 2024 Sadly, I rarely see a meadowlark anymore within th...