Monday, March 27, 2023

#2746 "Marble Sentinel to Long Reach"

#2746 "Marble Sentinel to Long Reach"
8x10 inches oils on canvas 
A mild February afternoon encouraged me to paint with the winter sun warming my back. I moved inland from the Singleton shoreline where I had painted during the morning. 

A winter rain storm would arrive early the following morning. I wished to take advantage of the warmer southerly flow associated with the conveyor belt of the storm while the plein air conditions were so favourable. There were absolutely no biting bugs. Winter weather may not be as dramatic as summer convection but the impacts can be much more severe. I watch the sky very closely.

Long Reach Lane forks just before you reach this monolithic outcrop of marble. The huge hunk of rock guards the properties that line Long Reach. This rocky face is an interesting feature of Long Reach Lane. The other branch of the forked lane heads southeasterly and to the Singleton Sanctuary. 

I stood on the edge of the lane out of the way just in case any vehicle should chance along. There was no one except me and the winter birds. We all stood and kept watch just like the marble ledge. 

My goal was to document the lengthening shadows. The lines cast by the trees near the original Homestead log barn and shed crawled across the snow and gravel lane to climb up the rock face. The shadows then snaked along the top of the marble ridge and back into the forest. The colours of the rock and the various stages of snow and ice were also very interesting. 

For this and much more art, click on Pixels.

Warmest regards and keep your paddle in the water,

Phil Chadwick



No comments:

Post a Comment

#2854 "Eastern Meadowlark"

#2854 "Eastern Meadowlark" 14x18 inches oils on canvas Started April 19th, 2024 Sadly, I rarely see a meadowlark anymore within th...