Thursday, May 18, 2023

#2766 "Rainy Day Waxwings"

#2766 "Rainy Day Waxwings"
16x20 oils on canvas

#2738 "Cedar Waxwings" needed a friend. I had a few potential images from my friend and naturalist John Verburg. I selected two of these and blended these into a third composition. Three birds are company and perhaps friends. The popular saying is always about killing two birds with a single stone. I felt that including three cedar waxwings in the painting was the safe and friendly thing to do. 

It was a cold and rainy day outside just like when John took the images of the cedar waxwings. When I sketched in these waxwings, there was a late winter or early spring storm raging outside with even the chance of a thunderstorm. I do love the weather but these conditions kept me inside the Singleton Studio.  Large raindrops clung to the tips of the branches like diamonds.  

John has graciously encouraged me to work from any of his fine images that chronicle the precious natural environment of the Frontenac Arch Biosphere. John has a gift for capturing the essence as well as the beauty of nature. Achieving these images requires more than skill and knowledge of optics and modern camera technology but also considerable patience waiting for that special moment. Our desire is that upon viewing nature through his photographs and perhaps my art, more people will appreciate the vital importance of protecting the natural world. A healthy habitat takes thousands of years to develop but can be irretrievably destroyed in brief hours under the guise of development. Thank you John. 

For this and much more art, click on Pixels.

Warmest regards and keep your paddle in the water,

Phil Chadwick



No comments:

Post a Comment

#2854 "Eastern Meadowlark"

#2854 "Eastern Meadowlark" 14x18 inches oils on canvas Started April 19th, 2024 Sadly, I rarely see a meadowlark anymore within th...