![]() |
| #3037 "Wildfire Skies at Singleton" 14 X 11 (inches) Oils on canvas. Started at 10:30 am Monday, August 10th, 2026 |
My friend John Verburg took this image after an afternoon of swimming in the beautiful, deep waters of Red Horse Lake. This picture was taken just ten minutes after John composed the inspiration for #3034 "Fiddler's Elbow Wildfire Sunset" just downstream at the entrance to Long Reach. John Verburg's pontoon boat was very near N44.522211 W76.104719 when he paused to observe this next inspiration at the exit of Jim Day Rapids. John is always on the lookout for something that speaks to him. Typically, what inspires John to photograph also speaks to me, encouraging an interpretation in oils.
The sky was literally on fire! Smoke from the wildfires in the Boreal Forest and the Rocky Mountains of Canada and the United States wafted all over North America.
I needed to chronicle those skies for posterity. I am not Edvard Munch (1863-1944), nor is this his most famous work, "The Scream" from 1893. Otherwise, the comparison of witnessing the threats to nature is identical.
As an aside, I have seen at least one version of "The Scream" at the Norwegian National Gallery in Oslo. I was nose-to-nose with countless other incredible works of art, including some selfies by Vincent! The National Gallery in Oslo was one of the finest galleries I have ever had the opportunity to visit.
"One evening I was walking along a path, the city was on one side and the fjord below. I felt tired and ill. I stopped and looked out over the fjord – the sun was setting, and the clouds turning blood red. I sensed a scream passing through nature; it seemed to me that I heard the scream. I painted this picture, painted the clouds as actual blood. The color shrieked. This became The Scream."
"I was walking along the road with two friends – the sun was setting – suddenly the sky turned blood red – I paused, feeling exhausted, and leaned on the fence – there was blood and tongues of fire above the blue-black fjord and the city – my friends walked on, and I stood there trembling with anxiety – and I sensed an infinite scream passing through nature."
![]() |
| Munch,1895, The Scream, Pastel |
As a meteorologist, I have been appalled since very early in my career by the lack of political leadership. Politicians and corporate leaders have failed miserably to address the largest, existential issue that threatens all life on Earth. Even worse, political leaders have undermined research on climate change and the scientists involved in developing and disseminating those facts. Multiple "program reviews" and funding cuts to environmental services were the norm in Canada throughout my career.
All of humanity should be screaming at the abuses of nature and the planet by the powerful, wealthy and well-connected few - simple, arrogant, ignorant greed at the expense of the "little blue planet". The following graphic summarizes the truth of this science...
A strong case can be made that the Canadian political war on science (the search for understanding and the truth) started even before the early 1980s, back to the sixties and the Avro Arrow. Canadian science was leading the world in many fields in the early 1960s, including meteorology.
Somehow, that knowledge conflicted with the political view of Canada as a global energy superpower. The brand of the political party was irrelevant, as they all lusted for power and wealth. Fossil fuels had to be subsidized and rebranded as "energy", thus disguising their existential links to carbon. That conception continues to this day with escalating political sanctioning (support) of oil, gas, fracking, pipelines ... a very long and misguided list of so-called "nation-building" projects that includes the high-speed rail project, Alto. Shame.
Instead, political leaders should be sanctioning (punishing) those who continue to destroy the environment for personal profit. That too is a very long list. Clear-cutting forests, including ancient, old-growth ecosystems, at a time when carbon needs to be resequestered is just wrong as well as incredibly stupid.
Ignorance is not bliss... please be informed.
The colours are real, but being beyond human experience, like "The Scream of Nature", some may find them challenging to believe. I wanted the heat to shimmer in both the sky and the reflective waters. The science is clear, while the politics are murky at best.
The other story behind this composition is that climate change has created two empty chairs at sunset in the natural Singleton paradise… due to heat and the PM2.5 particulates. There will be millions of permanently empty chairs in 50 years... billions by 2100.
For this and much more art, click Fine Art America or go straight to Collections or the new Wet Paint Collection. Thank you so very much for reading, and stay well!
Warmest regards, and keep your paddle in the water,








No comments:
Post a Comment