![]() |
| #3038 "Singleton August Bouquet" 10 X 8 (inches) oil on canvas. Started 10:30 am Thursday, August 13th, 2026 |
We had been admiring this clump of brown-eyed susans on the marble ridge all summer. August was starting to cool off. I needed to loosen up en plein air. The sun still got hot, but there was no smoke in the air. Even so, I had to add some finishing highlights in the studio where I could apply those with a steady hand.
Brown-eyed Susan flowers are native to North America. They are also called Black-eyed Susan, Brown Betty, Ox-eye daisy, poor-land daisy, poor-man's daisy, yellow daisy and goodness knows what else. I prefer the "brown-eyed" name after the 1967 song by Northern Irish singer-songwriter Van Morrison. These flowers were painted as they appeared on Thursday, August 13th, 2026 at 10:30 am. Linda had admired these flowers, so I decided to give them a try on a seasonal day before it got hot with the afternoon thunderstorms. Those storms blew down some trees and probably structures from Newboro to Smiths Falls and probably beyond.
![]() |
| Painting, "outstanding in the field..." |
The black-eyed Susan flower (Rudbeckia hirta) belongs to the sunflower family and is the state flower of Maryland. It's also a medicinal herb believed to treat colds, flu and even snakebites. Black-eyed Susans are indigenous to many sections of North America. They were introduced into Europe from North America soon after Columbus's visits and were named by Linnaeus in 1753. Linnaeus gave them the Latin name Rudbeckia Hirta after his mentor Olaf Rudbeck. "Hirta" means rough and hairy.
I have painted them before...
The above features "Susan" in the name. There might be others in my portfolio.
For this and much more art, click Fine Art America or go straight to Collections or the new Wet Paint Collection. If you enjoy this, you might like the Flower Collection...
Thank you so very much for reading, and stay well!
Warmest regards, and keep your paddle in the water,



No comments:
Post a Comment