Saturday, September 29, 2018

#2132 "Sinclair Cove Island"

I woke up at 6 am at my Agawa campsite in Superior East as has been the habit on this painting trip. Within minutes I was in the car and traveling back to the shelter of Sinclair Cove. The old Subaru Forester was much warmer than the tent. It was only 4 degrees Celsius outside according to the car thermometer. I should have been a better weatherman and ignored the climatological fact that it was June. I had packed my summer camping gear and should have brought my winter stuff. The damp from all of the rain made it feel even colder.

I had painted pretty much every island, tree and rock in Sinclair Cove except for this smooth knob of a rock in front of Sinclair Island. I picked a smooth panel with the intention of completing this early morning painting and then returning to the Agawa Campground to paint with my Huntsville artist friends. There was a lot of wind in the atmosphere. Long wavelength gravity waves dominated the altostratus skies looking northward from Sinclair Cove. I painted in the shelter of the rugged shore of Lake Superior and barely felt any of these winds in the cove. The layer of cloud on the northern horizon was very interesting. I suspect it was thick advection fog over the cold waters of Lake Superior.
 For this and much more art...

No comments:

Post a Comment

#2848 "Singleton Bald Eagles"

#2848 "Singleton Bald Eagles" 20x16 inches oils on stretch canvas Started Monday March 25st, 2024 It is a challenge to put a smile...